12″ 8.6 BLK Specs
- WEIGHT: 5.4 lbs
- 1:3 Twist, Lightweight Profile, Stainless Steel
- COLOR: Black Accents
What is 8.6 Blackout
The 8.6 BLK round was imagined and developed by Q.
When imagining 8.6 BLK, a good starting point is to think of 8.6 BLK as the big brother to 300 Blackout. However, it’s much more than just an upgrade on 300 BLK.
Like the 300 Blackout, the 8.6 Blackout was designed primarily for suppressed shooting, however, they also have supersonic loads in development as well.
8.6 BLK is re-imagining “energy on target” by employing a fast 1:3 twist rate (compare to common 1:7 and 1:8 twists for calibers like 5.56 NATO or 300 BLK).
Other 8.6 BLK Features
- Fits AR-10 Sized Rifles
- 338 Subsonic Load Based around the 300 grain Sierra Match King
- Similar to 338 Federal, but the case has been shortened to reliably work with gas guns without modification to mags
- Uses Standard 308 Magazines
- Low-Pressure Cartridge
- Utilizes a shortened 6.5 Creedmoor case for use of subsonic and high BC projectiles
- Current Ammo Companies in Development: Gorilla, Hornady, Black Hills, and Discreet Ballistics
- Designed Around a 12″ barrel
8.6 BLK Twist Rate
Very fast twist rates like 1:4 and even 1:3 are used for the 8.6 BLK, as this provides greater energy at supersonic velocities, and greater accuracy at subsonic velocities, thus enabling the use and stabilization of such long and large bullets out of such short barrels. The fast twist rate, also ensures good bullet expansion even at slower velocities.